Friday, September 13, 2013

      Coming into history I thought I knew a lot more about the post Civil War than I did. I knew that there was segregation and President Lincoln was killed. I thought that was the only big things that happened after the war. Now I know all the struggles the blacks faced without having jobs, homes, or their family. At first I thought that that when the John Wilkes Booth killed Lincoln that it was good and that Lincoln wasn't trying to help them but wanted to punish them but now I realized it only hurt them in the long run. I also learned that during this time they had a lot of corrupt presidents that picked sides. I am glad we went more into depth this year and helped me see that it wasn't all happy at the end of the Civil War.
      Some people don't understand that history has a lot of use and purpose they say "Why do we need to learn about the past? we live in the present" but what those people don't understand is we don't want to make those mistakes again. You also need to know about what worked and how to make things work with so many people having different opinions. It is especially to know about where you live because you need to know about your ancestors and learn about the mistakes they made. You also need to know the history behind monuments and houses because they were important.

1 comment: